Focused study of a particular theme, genre, period, or author.
- Identify and discuss themes and formal qualities shared by the poetry read in the course.
- Compare and contrast how the different poetry read deal with similar themes or formal literary issues.
- Analyze the meanings and effects of poems in terms of common conventions of the genre.
- Produce a well-written, carefully argued written analysis of a poetry relevant to the course theme based on close reading and incorporating relevant criticism.
- Discuss and analyze influential theories of the literature and poetics relevant to the course theme.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences