An upper-level seminar in contemporary fiction. Students will discuss and analyze major genres and movements in contemporary fiction, focusing on American fiction. Students will situate contemporary fiction in current political, cultural, historical and philosophical trends to better understand the relationship between fiction and the contemporary world.
- Identify major movements/genres in contemporary fiction.
- Examine meaningful questions about contemporary fiction, based on class readings and discussions.
- Appraise the influence of larger political, cultural, and social trends on the development of contemporary fiction.
- Identify scholarship relevant to analyzing contemporary fiction.
- Create original literary analyses of contemporary fiction, incorporating relevant scholarship.
- Identify major movements/genres in contemporary poetry.
andlt;olandgt; andlt;liandgt;A literary analysis paper (or papers) of at least 8 pages, incorproating scholarly research.andlt;/liandgt; andlt;liandgt;A final exam including essays and other forms of assessment.andlt;/liandgt; andlt;/olandgt;
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences