A survey of important contemporary literary theories and their application to literary analysis and criticism.
- Explain important theories and the arguments supporting them.
- Apply different theories to the interpretation or analysis of works of literature.
- Differentiate between the assumptions and methods of different theoretical approaches.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of different theoretical arguments.
- Readings of representative selections from important contemporary literary theorists
- Discussions of theoretical arguments, including their strengths, weaknesses, and applicability to specific works of literature
- At least two essay-based exams
- At least 8-10 pages of formal writing focused on analyzing theoretical arguments and/or applying those arguments to specific works of literature
Essay exams and formal writing should comprise at least 50% of the course grade.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences