A survey of major arguments about the nature of literature, literary expression, and literary experience from Plato through the mid-20th century.
- Demonstrate, in both discussion and writing, familiarity with the assumptions and conclusions of important literary theories from the classical era through the mid-20th century.
- Demonstrate, in both discussion and writing, familiarity with questions about literature which have been posed by critics of different eras and critical perspectives, and with the ways in which those critics have tried to respond to those questions.
- Demonstrate, in both discussion and writing, the ability to read literary theory texts critically, to analyze their assumptions, and compare their arguments with other theoretical texts.
- Situate classic theoretical texts within the ongoing debates over persistent critical themes and questions.
- Apply different theoretical approaches to the analysis and interpretation of different works of literature.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences