This course is an examination of rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics as the bases of the principal theoretical foundations of the field whose focus is the study of writing.
- Delineate the contributions of rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics as sources of contemporary composition theory and practice.
- Define with precision and clarity the nature and purpose of rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics in the field of Rhetoric and Composition Studies.
- Explain how the field of Composition Studies fits into the broader field of English Studies.
- Evaluate the relevance of theoretical traditions in rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics to the general field of Rhetoric and Composition studies.
- Demonstrate familiarity with inductive and deductive methods of argumentation, especially in the form of enthymemes, and the central role they play in rhetorical methods of persuasion.
- Demonstrate in writing an understanding of the foundational place of rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics as distinct strands in discursive study.
- Identify and assess points of dynamical interrelations and intersections among the theoretical complexes of rhetoric, poetics, and aesthetics.
Minimum requirements for successful completion of the course are as follows: 1.Completion of reading assignments; 2. Active participation in class discussion forums; 3. Completion of two short essay assignments; 4.Production of a final integrated research paper.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences