Introduces students to the contemporary study of rhetoric. The course covers major figures such as Kenneth Burke, Lloyd Bitzer, and Stephen Toulmin. The course introduces a wide range of academic interests in contemporary rhetoric; in particular, students will practice reading texts rhetorically through major theories of rhetoric.
- Discuss and analyze scholarly articles in the field of Rhetoric.
- Analyze and distinguish among approaches to the study of rhetoric, assessing underlying epistemological and ideological assumptions.
- Produce a critical review of literature on a specific area of research in Rhetoric.
- Evaluate scholarly texts, indicating possible areas of further inquiry.
- Synthesize conflicting viewpoints to find productive research space in order to address vital questions in the field.
- Evaluate the contributions of various major figures in the field.
- Construct a niche or position and enter scholarly discourse through composing of a research paper with a strong claim.
Minimum course requirements to meet the goals and measure students’ competencies include: 1. Completion of assigned reading; 2.In-class discussion; 3. Completion of short essay assignments; 4.Completion of final research paper
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences