Focuses on the teachings of the major figures of ancient rhetoric, such as the sophists, Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, and Quintilian. Students will study the classical texts that form the basis of modern rhetoric studies. The course also surveys major shifts through Medieval, Renaissance, and Enlightenment rhetoric.
- Discuss and analyze seminal texts in Rhetoric.
- Analyze and distinguish among ancient views on rhetoric and the uses of language.
- Apply ancient theory to understanding the persuasive effect of texts.
- Apply theory toward creation of pedagogical materials for use in teaching in the field of Rhetoric and Composition Studies.
- Evaluate scholarly texts, indicating possible areas of further inquiry.
- Construct a niche or position and enter scholarly discourse through composing of an argumentative paper with a strong claim.
- Produce a critical survey of the changing views of rhetoric over time, linking them to broader philosophical movements.
Minimum course requirements to meet the goals and measure students’ competencies include: 1. Completion of assigned reading; 2. In-class discussion; 3. Completion of short essay assignments; 4.Participation in class activities; 5. Writing several short, essay-style research papers.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences