Prepares students for the practical and theoretical challenges of teaching English composition and other writing courses. Topics include process theory, cognitive studies, language and diversity, genre studies, and best practices.
- Analyze and distinguish among approaches to composition pedagogy, assessing epistemological, rhetorical, and ideological assumptions.
- Discuss and analyze scholarly articles on composition pedagogy.
- Produce a critical review of scholarly literature on a specific idea in composition pedagogy.
- Evaluate scholarly texts, indicating possible areas of further inquiry.
- Construct a niche or position and enter scholarly discourse through composing of an argumentative paper with a strong claim.
- Apply theory toward creation of practical class materials.
- Critically examine various ideological and political stances on the role of English composition courses.
Minimum course requirements to meet the goals and measure students’ competencies include: Completion of assigned reading. Completion of short essay assignments. Production of a class design, activity design, and syllabus.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences