Historical and current issues in literary criticism and theory with particular attention to developments of the last fifty years. Emphasizes both reading and writing literary criticism in order to develop vocabulary and skills necessary to participate in scholarly literary debate.
- Familiarity with issues and questions raised by literary theorists.
- Familiarity with terms and concepts employed in the discussion of literary theories.
- Familiarity with positions and arguments of important literary theorists and approaches from Plato to today.
- Familiarity with the history and evolution of Western literary theory.
- Familiarity with major schools of contemporary theory.
- Ability to critique theoretical arguments and identify assumptions that underlie them.
- Ability to identify the assumptions that underlie analyses or interpretations of works of literature, including our own analyses and interpretations.
- Ability to apply different literary theories and interpretive approaches to the analysis and interpretation of specific literary works.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences