In a workshop setting, students will build on the skills learned in ENG 203 and 303 to draft and revise an effective full-length screenplay.
- Apply a range of techniques of the craft of screenwriting, including building conflict, charting character arc, creating active protagonists, and telling a story visually.
- Evaluate elements of the screenwriter’s craft as these elements appear in both published screenplays and in produced films.
- Apply the traditional three-act structure and its elements, including initial conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement
- Create multi-faceted and complex characters, and be able to create effective dialogue.
- Evaluate peer screenplays and provide constructive feedback with respect to dramatic premise, dialogue, action points, complications, subplots, subtext, reversals, character development, structure, climax, resolution, and unity of theme.
- Apply the accepted format for screenplays, and demonstrate proficiency with screenwriting software such as Celtx or Final Draft.
- Apply skills and concepts learned in this and preceding classes to the completion of a professional-quality draft of one half (45-50 pages) of a feature-length script.
Weekly reading and writing assignments. Viewing of and response to required films. Participation in online discussion boards in a workshop format. A 45-50 page draft of one half of a screenplay, written in proper screenplay format.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences