Origins of English
Examines the origins of language both within a person and within culture. Covers language acquisition and the history of the English language through its own developmental stages, including the evolution of standard American English and its major dialect communities.
- Identify the major stages in the history of the English language.
- Identify important historical and cultural influences on the evolution of standard American English as well as its major dialect communities.
- Use the terminology of contemporary linguistics correctly.
- Read and discuss essays on various aspects of linguistics from different perspectives and demonstrate understanding of these essays on written tests or in other writing assignments.
- Identify and discuss issues of race, class, gender, and handicapped perspective as they are related to language acquisition, socio-linguistics, and psycho-linguistics.
- Research a topic related to linguistics, language acquisition, or history of the English language, and write an essay that incorporates this research.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences