An introduction to contemporary linguistics. Covers the phonology, morphology and syntax of the English language with an emphasis on language acquisition as related to the developmental stages of childhood. The course is especially designed for students intending to teach elementary school students.
- Transcribe English words using a phonetic alphabet.
- Analyze English phonemes by their articulations.
- Analyze English words by their morphemes.
- Analyze English words by their class. (noun, verb, etc.)
- Analyze English sentences by their syntactic patterns.
- Demonstrate knowledge of stages of first language acquisition.
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories of first language acquisition.
- Research issues related to interaction of first and other languages.
- Research exceptional issues of a child’s language development not caused by inter-language effects.(e.g., dyslexia).
- Research English words semantically by referential, social, and affective meanings.
- Research the role of pragmatics in using language to communicate.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences