Building on the skills learned in ENG 203, students will refine their critical ability to analyze and evaluate screenplays, and their visual storytelling skills, in order to produce an effective first act of a full-length screenplay.
- Recognize the underlying principles behind writing a script, including harnessing conflict, creating drama, developing dynamic characters, and telling a story visually.
- Appraise the traditional three-act structure, setup, development and resolution of a screenplay.
- Evaluate peer screenplays with respect to dramatic premise, dialogue, action points, complications, subplots, reversals, character development, structure, climax, resolution, and unity of theme.
- Apply the accepted format for screenplay to define the aspects of visual storytelling that separate the screenplay form from other forms of writing.
- Apply course concepts in the completion of a draft of the first act (25-30 pages) of a feature-length script.
Weekly reading and writing assignments. Viewing of and response to required films. Participation in online discussion boards in a workshop format. A 25-30 page draft of the first act of a screenplay, written in proper screenplay format.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences