An advanced course in expository and argumentative writing that continues the work of Effective College English. While ENG 100 and ENG 101 focus on essay formulation and research, Advanced Composition emphasizes textual analysis. Students continue to practice the construction of arguments based on analytical reasoning, critical thinking and research skills.
- Produce an effective persuasive essay on a complex topic, incorporating relevant sources.
- Make effective written responses to opposing arguments.
- Read critically and present critical evaluations of sources effectively in writing.
- Read their own and other students’ writing critically and make effective suggestions for revision.
- Edit their own and other students’ writing effectively.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences