An introduction to the writing of feature-length screenplays. Students will learn the elements, formatting, and conventions of successful screenplays, and will learn to produce complete plots and scenes. This course is designed to give students a basis for future personal creative work.
- Analyze published and produced scripts for the purpose of understanding the major constituent elements of a traditional screenplay.
- Identify the individual components of a successful screenplay, including the traditional three-act structure.
- Employ proper screenplay formatting
- Generate a compelling and coherent original plot of the level that would sustain a feature-length film.
- Apply course concepts to produce a complete and compact treatment, which successfully conveys their script idea.
- Apply course concepts to produce a successful and significant sample collection of scenes written in screenplay format.
- Reflect critically on their own work and writing strategies in order to apply them to future personal creative work.
Weekly reading and writing assignments. Viewing of and response to required films. A 4-5 page treatment of a feature-length script. A collection of 8-10 pages of scenes written in screenplay format.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences