The first of a two-course sequence designed to provide incoming students with the expository and argumentative writing and critical thinking skills required for college course work. Emphasizing essay-length compositions, the course covers critical reading and analysis, thesis formation and essay organization and basic research and revision techniques.
- Identify main idea and themes in reading.
- Identify key words for use as supporting evidence.
- Critically analyze literary material for incorporation.
- Paraphrase and summarize source language.
- Generate unified and coherent formal essays.
- Develop paragraphs with clear topic sentences, supportive examples and evidence, and concluding sentences.
- Write clear thesis statements, supportive body paragraphs, introductions and conclusions.
- Develop effective introductions and conclusions using appropriate strategies, such as anecdote, questioning, framing, and quotation.
- Write on a focused topic.
- Incorporate source material into sentences in accordance with the conventions of textual appropriation and citation.
- Use effective revising and editing strategies in revising one’s own work and the work of peers.
- Write clear, effective sentences in accordance with the conventions of Standard English and college-level academic writing.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences