Teaches ability to access, analyze, and evaluate information received from the media. Investigates message design strategies, the effects of media consumption and information fatigue, and the influences of bias and economic forces on media content. Covers meaning formation, verbal and visual rhetorical structures and the effects of media convergence.
- Distinguish between different media, their roles, target audiences and effect on content and perceptions
- Determine which media best serves their needs, including both their personal and public goals
- Identify ethical practices and policies relevant to the news media in a democracy
- Explain the importance of being media literate
- Describe the positive aspects and pitfalls of Internet based media
- Identify signs of bias in media presentations
- Interpret media products for ideology and values
- Prepare an effective letter to the editor or an online commentary for a radio or TV program
- Create a digital multimedia narrative that meets a specific purpose and delivers a specific message to a target audience
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences