Survey course that many students take to fulfill a general education requirement. It is also a prerequisite for further in-depth studies in the field of communication. The course examines the cultural, linguistic and institutional factors that shape even the most everyday talk or exchange of information. It also looks at the major mass media industries, including books and newspapers, TV and radio, film, advertising, and the Internet. Through readings and projects, the course introduces students to the history and evolution of the media as well as rhetorical analysis and theories used to study the media.
- Differentiate between interpersonal versus mediated communication
- Recognize the characteristics of the mass media and the media industries
- Understand the basic principles and features of audience research
- Identify the short-term and long term influences of the media
- Explain the importance of media in a democracy
- Apply principles of media literacy
- Identify convergence and new media technologies that have emerged in the last two decades
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences