This course approaches the fundamentals of visual and applied arts from a global perspective and provides an overview of non-Western art from ancient times to the present. Specific areas of focus are the art of South Asia and the Islamic World, East Asia, Pre-Columbian Central and South America, Native North America, Africa and Oceania. Students learn how to look at, appreciate, and critically think and write about art from the perspectives of a diversity of cultures and historical eras.
- Identify the artistic traditions of non-Western cultures around the world.
- Explain the influence of religion on cultural expression in non-Western cultures.
- Analyze fundamental concepts in the history of world art.
- Evaluate cultural and historical issues through the lens of artistic expression as understood from a variety of global perspectives.
- Analyze and critique works of world art on aesthetic and cultural grounds.
- Analyze aesthetic values, power relationships, and diversity issues as they relate to the field of art history and criticism.
- Apply knowledge of the specific artistic styles and modes of cultural expression exemplified in South and East Asian, Native North and South American, African, and Oceanic art.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences