Survey of the art of cinema from the silent period to the present; examines film techniques and theories; explores film styles and genres, focusing on elements such as lighting, editing, and cinematography; establishes a basis by which students can make aesthetic judgments.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the technical aspects of film. Students will be able to assess the various roles of the film makers, i.e. director, cinematographer, musical director, scenic designer, etc..
- Understand that stylistic and thematic elements will be analyzed: montage, point of view, recurring motifs, plot, structure, characterization, narrative devices, and social values.
- View films as texts to be interpreted.
- Make comparisons/contrasts between films of different cultures.
- Identify this course is designed to help students become more aware and confident in their ability to respond to a film’s meaning, to encourage the student to explore films that illustrate different techniques and styles, and to help them develop the language and skills necessary to evaluate the various elements which define a film as a work of art.
- Provide concrete descriptions and in-depth analyses of the cinematic techniques encountered in the movies. We will explore the filmmakers’; attempts to impact us artistically as well as expand our cultural awareness.
- Write a substantive critical essay demonstrating the student’s ability to read films as texts to be interpreted.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences