Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Prepare for careers in the security, business continuity, and disaster management fields in the public sector (city, state, or federal governments), nonprofit organizations, and private industry with the Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management. It provides a solid foundation in the security issues, practices, politics, and cultures of terrorism; best practices to cope with a pending emergency; and operations during, and recovery from, an emergency.
Throughout the homeland security degree program, you’ll conduct research on various government and private sector entities and report on suggested improvements in preparing for an emergency. Prepare for work in a variety of homeland security and emergency preparedness settings and capacities, such as land borders, seaports and airports, threat assessment, disaster management, and crisis response planning, and management. It is also appropriate for military personnel of all ranks, mid-level managers, and managers seeking promotion within the various levels of government and private industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply relevant criticism in sustained analysis and interpretations of security management thinking.
- Evaluate emergency disaster pre-plans, recovery plans, and after-action reports.
- Apply analytical skills in approaching ethical dilemmas and implications of technology and other areas faced in government and private industry.
- Describe the political and religious implications of the terrorist climate.
- Describe and analyze the role groups and teams have in organizations as they relate to addressing homeland security and emergency management issues.
- Describe the roles local, state and federal government agencies have in addressing homeland security and emergency management issues.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.