An examination of the important aspects of personnel management in government, including civil service procedures, affirmative action, employee motivation and organizational development.
- Identify and contrast the major issues involved in such policy areas as economic regulation, income support, energy, environment, health care, education, immigration and civil rights.
- Identify key historical developments in public personnel relative to current trends and practices in managing public service workers.
- Identify major public personnel functions and describe the role they perform in the overall public sector process.
- Analyze decision-making practices dealing with the recruitment, selection, training, and performance evaluation of government employees.
- Explain the issues and approaches to determining compensation and benefits and their influence on labor-management relationships.
- Analyze how the changing global society and multicultural environment impacts the management of the employment contract.
- Analyze and evaluate negotiation strategies between labor and management in relation to the representation of workers and the good of society.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies