A general survey course covering the role of the public sector manager in American society today. Studies current issues and leading concepts in the field of non-profit management.
- Describe public administration theories and concepts in the context of the documents of the founding fathers.
- Analyze and evaluate the concept of new public management within the historical development of government administration.
- Identify major public administration functions and describe the role they perform in the overall governing of the public sector.
- Identify key historical developments in public administration and relate these to current trends and practices at both the national and local levels.
- Analyze decision-making issues and relate them to general public managerial practices in an array of quasi-political government environments.
- Analyze how the changing global society and multicultural environment impacts the management of the public sector.
- Explain the division of power within American government as established by the Constitution of the United States.
- Describe, analyze and evaluate the ethical behavior of individuals in relation to ethical principles and practices of government agencies.
- Identify and analyze the impact of political influences on the public sector decision-making process.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.