Supervised senior project undertaken by students of public administration when they have completed all core courses in the program. Coordinated by full-time faculty and chaired by a public administration faculty member chosen by the student from previous courses taken within the program. Students select a viable topic in public administration to research and then meet with their chair once a week for two months. Upon completion, students present their project to chair, other faculty and peers in an open forum. Accelerated study is not permitted with this course. PAD405 is two months in length. Students who do not complete the Senior Project within the two-month period are eligible, at the discretion of the instructor, to receive a grade of ‘IP’ with a maximum of a one-time, six-month extension. Students who do not complete the project at the end of the extension period will need to retake the course. Grading is by H, S, or U only. Course is eligible for an ‘IP’ grade.
- Develop a research question.
- Formulate a testable research hypothesis; can choose more then one to test.
- Conduct a literature review.
- Describe an appropriate methodology to answer the research question.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Draw conclusions and make recommendations based on the available data.
- Make an oral presentation of research findings.
- Show an understanding of the ethical issues surrounding the collection and reporting of research data.
- Understand the role research plays in the development of public administration and criminology.
- Explain how diversity issues may influence choice of research topics, research methodology, and the application of research findings to the justice system.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.