An introductory screenwriting workshop that provides a foundational study of the theory and practice of writing for feature film. The course is designed to enable students to complete an outline for a full-length feature screenplay and a first draft of a feature script based on their own original ideas. Through this course students will sharpen critical and analytical skills, develop a critical vocabulary to talk and write perceptively, articulately, and precisely about professional and student-generated screenplays, and to articulate their own aesthetic tastes and artistic goals. As a result of taking this course students should understand the need to take risks in order to explore and develop one’s creative potential to discover and develop original work from one’s personal vision.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the underlying principles of screenplay writing
- Develop an idea into a logline.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in the screenplay form including appropriate formatting, writing of dialog and expression of visual thinking.
- Work in collaboration with peers to analyze and improve the outline
- Create an outline for a screenplay in master scenes which includes: a. Act I, the beginning b. Act II, the middle c. Act III, the end
- Create an original screenplay that includes: a. action expressed dramatically and visually b. multi-dimensional major and secondary characters c. well-constructed scenes that utilize action and dramatic storytelling d. clearly defined protagonist and antagonist e. indication of character arc for central characters.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.