This workshop focuses on digital cinematography and the aesthetic aspects of cinematic practice. Students evaluate core concepts of cinematography: composition, lighting, camera movement, lens selection and the technical limitations and advantages of digital cinematography. Taken concurrently with MDC 651P ‘studio practicum,’ students apply cinematic techniques using digital still and video cameras to shoot projects with live subjects.
- Evaluate the aesthetic principles and techniques associated with the art and craft of cinematography.
- Evaluate cinematic techniques used by cinematographers to construct meaning and emotional engagement in an audience.
- Evaluate the technical parameters and specifications of professional digital cinematography.
- Critique the creative works of others using relevant critical models and professional vocabulary of the craft of cinematography.
- Generate a variety of aesthetic and technical solutions to production problems faced by filmmakers in the production of digital motion picture sequences.
- Design a shooting plan for a narrative script that applies the technical standards and techniques of narrative cinematography.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.