A survey of the historic development of Constitutional Law in the United States. The student will learn the philosophical foundations of the Constitution and review how the political climate shaped landmark decisions throughout the history of the United States.
- Explain the historical context of the constitution, relating to the framers’ legal philosophies, their goals, and the tenets underlying the creation of the U.S. Constitution.
- Define and understand the term, ‘active liberty’ and its practical applications to the U.S. Constitution.
- Understand the Supreme Court’s role of balancing the inherent purposes and principles of the constitution with judicial restraint.
- Understand the varying judicial philosophies in interpreting constitutional free speech pursuant to the 1st Amendment.
- Understand the varying judicial philosophies in interpreting the mechanics of federalism and individual states’ rights.
- Understand the varying judicial philosophies in interpreting implied constitutional rights of privacy.
- Understand the varying judicial philosophies in interpreting the constitutionality of affirmative action to further minority participation in a free society.
- Understand the varying judicial philosophies in applying the constitution to state and federal powers.
- Understand the constitutionality, interpretations, and purpose of administrative bodies and administrative law.
- Synthesis all constitutional angles surveyed and display an understanding of their interconnecting relationships.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.