A broad-based overview of the various stages of the civil/criminal litigation process. Covers the complete litigation process starting from the initial filing of the criminal information and/or civil complaint, progressing through the client interview, motion and trial phase. Explores the process of court pleading and discovery, including interrogations, depositions and the voir dire process. Also covers heavy strategies and the role of the law office assistant. Students must demonstrate their legal knowledge and understanding of the material through the drafting of a civil complaint, accompanying forms, summons and depositions.
- Describe the role of federal, California, and local rules of court applicable to the litigation process.
- Identify stages of the common law and statutory pleading process.
- Recognize and understand the role of motions, interrogatories, and other documents used in the discovery process.
- Explain the role of the litigation process in dispute resolution.
- Identify elements of and draft a simple complaint, motion, and interrogatory questions pertaining to a hypothetical case.
- Explain the need for rules of professional conduct and ethics by all professionals involved in the litigation process.
- Recognize the technological resources available to the legal professional involved in the litigation process.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.