This course focuses on what it takes to successfully write and assemble reporter packages for broadcast news programs. The course includes shooting video for the package, deciding which video pieces to use and conducting interviews to get information and effective sound bites for the report. In addition to writing and reporting techniques, students will learn how to perform for TV news, including the manner of dress, speech and other factors that relate to trust, believability, and likeability.
- Write news stories for television using the most common formats.
- Know how to effectively combine words and pictures to tell a story.
- Have a thorough understanding of how to interview subjects.
- Understand the relationship among the behind-the-scenes and people involved in putting together a newscast and the reporter/cinematographer.
- Have learned the importance of story placement and relationship among subject areas within a newscast.
- Be able to create a reporter package for a newscast.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.