In this course candidates will examine relevant educational and mental health practices that can be utilized by professionals in alternative ed settings looking for practical methods in working with difficult students.
- Analyze various family support systems and the role of the families in the juvenile justice and educational system.
- Evaluate the rights and responsibilities of students, parents, teachers, and other professionals, and schools related to exceptional learning needs.
- Examine strategies from multiple theoretical approaches to increase the individual’s self-awareness, self-management, self control, self-reliance, and self-esteem.
- Evaluate a variety of nonaversive techniques to control targeted behavior and maintain attention of individuals with emotional/behavioral disorders.
- Assess how teacher attitudes influence the behavior of individuals with exceptional learning needs.
- Develop a mock environment that encourages self-advocacy and increased independence within the limits of the setting.
- Analyze controversial intercultural issues among youth within the system in ways that enhance any culture, group or person.
- Develop an individualized reinforcement plan with environmental modifications at levels equal to the intensity of the behavior.
- Develop academic instruction for affective education and behavior management for individuals and groups with emotional/behavioral disorders.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.