Introduces the student to legal, policy, and ethics issues inherent in the security of the United States. Laws and policies affecting this area have been in place for years; however, the events of 9/11 introduced a flood of Acts, regulations, and directives that play a critical role in supporting evolving policy. Conflicts between Federal and State law make for a volatile and challenging study.
- Analyze the statutory basis for emergency management in the public sector.
- Evaluate federal, state, tribal and local policies, legislation, directives and regulations with respect to homeland security issues.
- Appraise the importance of public administrators, particularly those dealing with the public during times of crisis, to act ethically.
- Analyze the effect of public policy on a community before, during, and after a disaster.
- Examine the critical role of court decisions in clarifying the practical application of legislation and executive decisions.
- Evaluate the ethical issues surrounding homeland security policies and legal interpretations.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.