Builds on the concepts and skills established in FLM 340 by exploring directing through the lens of the cinematographer and the art director. Students study the roles of the art department, production design, set design, and art design. Principles of dynamic contrast, color, lighting, and camera angles that complement the narrative are also covered. Students products include a potentially episodic short clip.
- Illustrate the selection of shot sizes, matching and non-matching, complimentary and non-complimentary sides appropriate to the emotional intensity of a narrative sequence
- Select shot sizes and camera angles relative to the subject’s position and eye line that complement the emotional intensity of a narrative sequence
- Apply the 180 degree rule to the selection of camera positions used to cover one, two and three lines of action in a narrative sequence while maintaining continuity of eye line and screen direction
- Illustrate the effective use of the depth on the z-axis using foreground, mid ground and background planes to compose shots for a narrative sequence
- Employ the rule of thirds in the composition of a shot to achieve a balanced frame in a variety of shot sizes
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.