An introductory interactive and entertaining course designed for students and business professionals to develop the skills required to perform effectively as a mediator. Students will be introduced to different mediation styles such as facilitative, transformative, and evaluative methods. The course utilizes negotiating principles, role plays, videos, and case studies.
- Understand the role mediation plays in the resolution of disputes.
- Describe the different stages of a mediation and the interrelationship between the mediator, the parties and their advocates.
- Recognize how mediator and party biases and cultural differences can effect the mediation process.
- Identify the different styles of mediation and know which style should be used for different types of disputes.
- Demonstrate through role-playing an appreciation of mediation dynamics.
- Identify and describe how mediation differs from other ADR processes.
- Describe the different styles of mediation and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Identify the differences between facilitative and evaluative mediation.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of mediation.
- Identify the stages of mediation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.