This course is part two of a series of three courses for community health nursing practicum. The student will focus on various theories, models and frameworks that are utilized in designing, planning and implementing health promotion within the community and population. This course will explore key issues related to public and global health relevant to professional nursing practice. Through the use of epidemiology methods, students will track the natural history of a disease and identify its frequency, distribution, and cause.The community/public health clinical practicum experience focuses on nursing’s role in promoting and protecting the health of populations in accordance with The American Nurses Association Scope and Standards of Public Health Nursing Practice (2007). Completion of this course partially fulfills the California Board of Nursing requirements for certification as a Public Health Nurse (Business and Professions Code of California, Section 2816-2819). Grading is satisfactory (s) or unsatisfactory (u) only. Students must be enrolled concurrently in nursing 411, Community Health Framework.
- Describe the role of nursing in a community/public health setting.
- Demonstrate nursing assessment and intervention skills with individuals, families, groups, and other aggregates in the community.
- Complete a population-based assessment, which includes comprehensive data pertinent to the health status of the community including policy, regulations, and legal and ethical standards.
- Identify and prioritize population diagnoses and health outcomes.
- Develop a plan that reflects evidence-based best practices to promote health in the community.
- Participates effectively in activities that facilitate community involvement.
- Weekly Journal Summary
- Community/Public Health Professional Interview
- Health Education Plan Presentation
- Community Clinical Performance
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.