Addresses professional values, ethics, diversity and their associated behaviors foundational to the practice of nursing. Provides the student with tools to begin thoughtful discussion and problem solving within the social context of health care delivery and the practice environment of nursing. This course covers the Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN) competencies and the Institute of Medicine’s framework, legal issues and policies, ethics and finance.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the history of and contemporary issues in nursing and their impact on current nursing practice.
- Recognize the impact of attitudes, values and expectations on the care of vulnerable populations.
- Access inter-professional and intra-professional resources to resolve ethical and other practice dilemmas.
- Identify nursing specialties and describe recent practice changes and current issues.
- Articulate the value of pursuing practice excellence, lifelong learning, and professional engagement to foster professional growth and development.
Students are expected to be competent in using current technology appropriate for this discipline. Such technology may include word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software. Use of the internet and e-mail may also be required.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.