Examination of the theory and practice that are essential to understanding how fiscal management should be conducted within a nonprofit organization from a tax, legal, board, and donor perspective. Overview of the knowledge and skills necessary to provide financial leadership in a nonprofit organization, with emphasis on appropriate financial and management strategies including types of giving, gifts processing, grant administration, long- and short-range planning, financial resource management, budgets, financial statements, tax benefits and planning, compliance and financial decision-making tools. The fiduciary responsibilities of both board and staff will be delineated.
- Navigate the financial complexities of nonprofit management and governance with confidence and ease
- Interpret financial statements and create appropriate financial controls and policies
- Assemble an annual budget
- Examine accounting and tax codes specific to nonprofits including Sarbanes Oxley and California’s Nonprofit Integrity Act.
- Compare the various structures and avenues for financially supporting a nonprofit organization and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Determine information to consider when making financial decisions: long-term consequences, short-term benefits, mission alignment, who benefits, and who might be harmed
- Differentiate between the fiduciary responsibilities of the board of directors and of staff
- Assess the financial health of a nonprofit organization
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.