Overview of the history and extent of volunteerism and philanthropy in nonprofit organizations. Topics include administrative leadership; legal and operating definitions; the purpose, function, and role of boards and committees; board identification, selection, and development: building positive board/staff relationships: communication, decision-making, group leadership, etc. Emphasis will be on leadership issues including defining roles and managing boundaries (role of the board of directors, executive leadership, relationship between the board and the executive director).
- Construct a clear understanding of the unique roles and responsibilities of volunteer leadership and differentiate it from the roles and responsibilities held by staff
- Assemble the critical components of a volunteer handbook including job descriptions, evaluations and nonprofit legal documents
- Evaluate the depth and breadth of volunteerism today
- Examine the legal and managerial challenges of leading volunteers
- Develop a strategy for inspiring, coordinating and building cooperation among staff and volunteer teams