Provides a thorough knowledge of video use in journalistic communication without a TV station’s truck, studio or edit bay. It teaches students to work as video journalists and communicate video news stories using a small digital camera and a laptop computer.
- Create a person blog showcasing the news stories they have shot and edited.
- Upload their news stories to their blog.
- Demonstrate understanding of the proper use of a digital camcorder, tripod, batteries, and video storage media.
- Demonstrate proper elements of video composition.
- Explain types of shots in videography and when each is used.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of field audio recording and microphone usage.
- Explain video news story formats (PKG., VO-SOT, VO-NAT) and when each is used.
- Edit news packages on a non-linear video editor.
- Explain and demonstrate an understanding of the elements of news packages including: a. Anchor lead-ins b. Walk-ups c. Sound bites d. Bridges e. B-Roll f. Stand-ups g. Natural Sound (NAT-SOT)
- Write a news story using two-column layout and broadcast writing style.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies