Students create a portfolio of work based on their professional career goals in the media content creation disciplines such as cinematography, editing, directing, screenwriting, and/or production. Portfolio components may include a screenplay, short scripts, and samples of nonfiction and/or fiction media content or other relevant coursework. Working with an instructor, students revise existing or produce new work and reflect on their work and lessons learned during the program. The final portfolio should be suitable for submission to a potential employer such as a production company, media content distributor, television station or other media entertainment company.
- Illustrate the principles of cinematic, sound, and visual design used in the creation of contemporary visual media.
- Interpret the communication objectives of media content using oral and written responses.
- Detect cultural attitudes, beliefs, and values and their implications in film, television, and media programs.
- Apply creative processes to the development of fiction and nonfiction content for production of short format digital media programs.
- Generate short scripts for fiction and nonfiction media programs.
- Coordinate the preproduction, production, and postproduction processes used in the development of film and video programs.
- Implement professional techniques used in the production of image and sound media assets.
- Integrate collaborative processes into the development, production, and postproduction phases of digital media creation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.