Principles and concepts to include radiation effects on cellular, organ, system and levels within the entire body. Emphasis of the theories and principles of tolerance dose, time-dose relationships, fractionation schemes and the relationship to clinical practice of radiation therapy.
- Describe direct and indirect interactions between radiation and cells.
- Describe the molecular basis of cellular radiosensitivity.
- Explain the influence of cell cycle, repair, repopulation and reoxygenation on tissue radiosensitivity.
- Describe the components of a cell survival curve.
- Given clinical data, draw a cell survival curve.
- Differentiate between cell survival curves of varying LET radiations, hypoxic and aerated cells as well as cell cycle phases.
- Identify the acute and late effects of radiation on living tissue.
- Describe the effects of whole body radiation.
- Describe the long term effects of radiation.
- Explain the effects of radiation on the developing embryo and fetus at each stage.
- Explain the effects of time, dose and fractionation on long term side effects and treatment effectiveness.
- Describe the relationship between LET, RBE and OER.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.