A clinical focus of radiation therapy physics that examines factors related to absorbed dose, calculation of dose from all sources of radiation, principles of treatment planning and an overview of advanced technologies.
- Describe beam filtration for the various external beam modalities, including but not limited to purpose, types of filters, construction, energy considerations and effect on HVL.
- Calculate the mean energy of a megavoltage beam.
- Compare absorbed dose with exposure.
- Explain the relationships between %DD, TAR, TMR, TPR.
- Explain the relationship between %DD and and TAR with distance, field size, and depth.
- Explain the relationships between TMR and TPR with distance, field size and depth.
- Discuss the integral dose concept.
- Describe the clinical applications of moving beam techniques.
- Examine isodose curves and identify beam energy.
- State the Dmax for common treatment energies.
- Examine the fabrication of 2-D and 3-D compensators.
- Evaluate treatment PTV, GTV, CTV.
- Compare configurations of multileaf collimation systems.
- Discuss considerations to be taken when using multileaf collimator systems.
- Discuss the techniques and applicators used for intracavitary, interstitial and endovascular brachytherapy procedures.
- Summarize dose specification and prescription techniques for different types of Implants.
- Discuss procedural processes and record keeping requirements for radioactive material.
- State radiation safety requirements for brachytherapy procedures.
- State the T1/2 for common brachytherapy sources.
- Differentiate between IMRT, Conformal and conventional treatments.
- Describe appropriate clinical situations using IMRT, Conformal and conventional treatments.
- Discuss the appropriate use of particulate beam.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.