Overview of cancer and the specialty of radiation therapy. The historic and current aspects of cancer treatment along with basic principles and practice of treatment and simulation will be emphasized.
- Describe the historical events that have helped shape the profession.
- Describe the types of radiation therapy treatment and simulation equipment.
- Explain the goals and principles of radiation therapy treatment.
- Determine the medical and patient information needed to simulate and develop a treatment plan.
- Differentiate between beam modifiers, immobilization and set-up devices and determine which device to use for any given treatment.
- Accurately measure points in interest for calculation of dose.
- Construct immobilization devices.
- Compare a variety of immobilization and set-up devices for use in a variety of treatment set-ups.
- Given a clinical scenario, describe the sequence of simulation procedures utilized.
- Given basic factors, calculate the monitor units.
- Given diagnostic information, develop a basic plan for treatment.
- Analyze a clinical situation and make necessary changes to procedures.
- Develop a plan to check for accuracy and lack of inconsistencies between the treatment plan, prescription and treatment.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.