Designed to establish a knowledge base in factors that govern and influence the production and recording of radiographic images for patient simulation, treatment planning and treatment verification in radiation oncology. General radiography, computerized tomography, sonography and nuclear medicine imaging modalities and equipment will be emphasized. An overview of radiation protection will be provided.
- Differentiate between electromagnetic and particulate radiations and the interactions of electrons and the target material.
- Explain the interactions of x-rays and matter.
- Determine how changes in kVp, mAs, time and distance affect the x-ray beam and influence contrast, density, detail and resolution.
- Identify other factors that influence quality and quantity of the x-ray beam.
- Compare image acquisition and extraction of cassette-based vs. cassetteless systems.
- Compare conventional radiography systems with digital radiography systems.
- Determine factors utilized to reduce patient dose in radiography and computed tomography.
- Critique radiographic films for contrast, density, detail, and distortion.
- Explain the basic principles of sonography and describe the role in radiation therapy.
- Explore the role of sonography in diagnosis and work-up of neoplastic diseases.
- Explain the basic principles of Computed Tomography (CT).
- Describe the role of CT in the diagnosis and work-up of neoplastic diseases.
- Explain the basic principles of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Evaluate the role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the diagnosis and work-up of neoplastic diseases.
- Describe the utilization of fused images for treatment planning in radiation therapy.
- Explain the basic principles of Nuclear Medicine.
- Describe the role of Nuclear Medicine imaging in the diagnosis and work-up of neoplastic disease.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.