VLSI design introduces students to fabrication and layout techniques necessary to design large scale systems. Specific topics include: CMOS logic, MOSFET theory, layout design rules including all the factors required for an effective circuit design. Advanced topics include: capacitance requirements, clocking, and power consumption, circuit simulation and performance estimation.
- Design logic circuit layouts for CMOS circuits.
- Extract the analog parasitic elements using a simulator.
- Build a cell library to be used by other chip designers.
- Insert elementary testing hardware into the VLSI chip.
- Analyze VLSI circuit timing using Logical Effort analysis.
- Design elementary data paths for microprocessors, including moderate-speed adders, subtracters, and multipliers.
- Estimate the power consumption of a VLSI chip.
- Assemble an entire chip.
- explain the chip technology scaling process.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.