Engineering Numerical Methods
This course introduces the mathematical fundamentals and numerical methods for engineering practice. Emphasis is placed on mathematical modeling using differential equations and associated numerical methods for solutions. The topics include complex numbers, differential equations, systems of linear differential equations, Laplace transform and their applications in engineering. MATLAB is introduced as a tool for solving mathematical problems that require numerical solutions.
- Understand and manipulate complex numbers.
- Model practical engineering systems using first and second order differential equations.
- Determine the solutions of linear differential equations both analytically and numerically.
- Apply Laplace transforms and their inverses to solve differential equations.
- Solve systems of linear differential equations using matrix techniques and eigenvalues.
- Use the MATLAB environment to implement numerical method algorithms.
Students are expected to study the lecture notes and textbook, participate in all class activities, complete exams as scheduled, and turn in all assignments as scheduled. Failure to do so may result in the loss of points or the lowering of one’s grade.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.