To address the spectrum of issues in data analytics, this curriculum has been designed to include core courses in statistical topics as well as areas for advanced applications of data analytics in unique fields. Core topics include data modeling, data management, data mining, continuous and categorical data methods and applications, teamwork, and communication. Advanced topics include how to develop, implement, and maintain the hardware and software tools needed to make efficient and effective use of big data including databases, data marts, data warehouses, machine learning, and analytic programming. State-of-the-art analytical software will be used in all courses.
The culmination of this program is a three-month capstone project where real data from sponsoring organizations or publicly available data will be used to solve specialized problems in analytical database design, programming, implementation, or optimization.
Previous academic studies or industrial experience in such areas as math, statistics, computer programming, engineering, or science are helpful prerequisites for this masters program. This degree is appropriate for both experienced professionals as well as recent college graduates.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate components of data analytics to produce knowledge-based solutions for real-world challenges using public and private data sources.
- Evaluate data management methods and technologies used to improve integrated use of data.
- Construct data files using advanced statistical and data programming techniques to solve practical problems in data analytics.
- Design an analytic strategy to frame a potential issue and solution relevant to the community and stakeholders.
- Develop team skills to ethically research, develop, and evaluate analytic solutions to improve organizational performance.
- Design data marts.
- Analyze complex database queries for real-world analytical applications.
- Design medium to large data warehouses.
- Evaluate machine learning methods and strategies for advanced data mining.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.