This course covers the technical aspects of information security for computer systems and networks. Various topics of information security will provide students with an understanding of the tools and technologies used to design secure information systems and networks. With the understanding of what security is, this course discusses access control mechanisms, methods of attack, and secure protocols. It includes how to secure telecommunications networks and the Internet. Cryptography is discussed in regards to privacy and secrecy. There is an emphasis on physical security followed by application and system development security. In addition, there will be a discussion of vulnerability assessments and penetration testing and an examination of digital forensics. This course, together with ITM 470, may help students prepare for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam.
- Explain access control mechanisms and models.
- Describe methods of intrusion detection, protection systems, and security tools.
- Evaluate a system to ensure security is being enforced.
- Identify physical security threats and proper responses.
- Describe how secured networks are planned, implemented, and maintained.
- Explain cryptography algorithms, cipher methods, and cryptographic tools.
- Discuss digital forensics in relation to information security.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.