Examine health literacy crisis in the United States and around the world,the issues and challenges of low health literacy, and populations at risk for low literacy. Address effective strategies to meet the challenges of low health literacy and of cultural and linguistically diverse populations.
- Examine factors that affect health literacy.
- Explain the educational and public health impact of low health literacy on health knowledge, learning, behaviors and outcomes.
- Identify populations at risk for low health literacy.
- Discuss the barriers faced and skills required of populations with low health literacy.
- Analyze the role of mass media and the Internet in health literacy.
- Evaluate the efficacy of various health materials and programs focused on developing health literacy.
- Identify principles of learning and teaching and pedagogical strategies to address and advance health literacy for culturally and linguistically diverse learners and families.
- Develop an action plan to increase health literacy in a health standards content area.
Complete readings and participate in classroom or chat room discussions. Develop a written health literacy intervention teaching plan that could be used with a group of adolescents. Visual and technology presentation of the teaching plan. Develop a written research paper on health literacy programs and curriculum. In class analysis of case studies.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.