Public Health Biology
Public Health Biology
Biological foundations of public health issues including infectious and chronic diseases. Reproduction and development of disease pathogens and transmission, immune responses and constitution of the host. Anatomical, physiological and cellular foundations for understanding chronic diseases. Focuses on methods for the control and prevention of disease.
- Distinguish among the characteristics of viral, bacterial, parasitic and other types of disease pathogens.
- Identify pathogen type, transmission, incubation, disease course, cure and/or treatment of the 10 most prevalent infectious diseases worldwide.
- Apply the epidemiologic model of disease transmission to common infectious and chronic diseases.
- Identify the known associations between genetic factors and common diseases.
- Describe the most common cancers by site, including survival rates, screening and treatment methods.
- Describe the natural course of the most common forms of cardiovascular diseases.
- Describe the natural course of the most common types of diabetes mellitus.
- Distinguish between unintentional and intentional injury.
- Critically evaluate the current scientific literature regarding antibiotic resistance, antiviral pharmaceuticals, and emerging methods for disease treatment and prevention.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.