Introduction to analysis of wood, steel and concrete structures. Basic structural loads, forces and moments in beams, columns and trussed systems. Internal reactions and method of sections. Stress, sheer and deformation in beams and columns. Properties of soils and foundations. Basic design fundamentals.
- Understand basic structural loads and the equilibrium of forces and moments.
- Apply the method of sections to beams.
- Analyze design loads in trussed systems.
- Explain stress, strain, sheer and deformation.
- Apply the principles of soil properties and structures.
- Understand basic timber, steel and concrete design.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.